I’d been doing word collages for a long time but then started–in 2014–using manipulated-by-hand images (from old magazines and books) and became much more serious and passionate about it. I’m still learning and exploring all the time. Like with writing, I’m self-taught, but have been influenced by many contemporary collage artists and friends (see bottom of this page). This page will have links to collages published on websites as well as some unpublished ones. I also have a Tumblr page now, which I update more often with new work. My hope is to publish a book of them someday.
In January of 2015, I had my first big solo show at Powell’s called Rookie Season. I made a limited edition zine to go with it. It was chosen as a zine-of-the-month selection by the IPRC that summer.
I’ve also had shows at The Waypost, Crema, and Radio Room. In June of 2016, I curated the show, Northwest Collage, at Powell’s. It featured artists Jesse Treece, Cory Peeke, A. M. O’Malley, Kurtiss Lofstrom, Ruth E Fox, Rachel Eaton, Harold McNaron, Nicolette Lind, Lita Kenyon, Jay Berrones, and Evan Clayton Horback.
In November, 2016, I had a show at Rudy’s Barbershop in SE Portland and a show with Jackie Treiber, Karen Wippich, Kevin Cascell, and Greg Hanson at Redux in Portland in February and March of 2018.
In March of 2017, I had a show at Composition Gallery in downtown Portland with Jay Berrones and Christina Gontzes.
In August, 2018, my work was featured on the back wall of Blick Art Supply in downtown Portland.
- A collage and text collaboration (titled Vaseline) with writer Seil Ju at 7×7
- Collage GIFs at Queen Mobs Teahouse
- I made some collages using Emily Kendal Frey’s Sorrow Arrow book
- Read about the making of Blue Girl
- Gay Bears Menace on The NewerYork
- Catholic What-Ifs on The NewerYork
- My interview with collage artist Jesse Treece
- Three collages about 2013, feminism, and basketball on Ohio Edit
- Some old style word collages on Noo Journal
- More minimal word collages at Unshod Quills
- Other collages have appeared in print with Lazy Fascist Review, Jerkpoet, Kolaj, and is forthcoming in Black Candies and Clackamas Literary Review.
Here are some links to other collage artists that I greatly admire: