Every time someone asks me what’s been going on, I usually shrug and say, oh, more of the same. Or something like that. I think it’s about time I just fess up: I’m busy as f$ck!
I go to work and then I come home and “go to work” again, until way past my bedtime. I thought July and August were like vacation months. Times to lay out in the sun or on the beach. Sadly, it doesn’t work out that way. Besides the recent Future Tense/Scout Book releases, me and team Future Tense (Bryan, Tina, Mareika, and Ariana) were working hard on getting Wendy C. Ortiz’s memoir, Excavation, out into the world. I’m expecting boxes of the paperback in the next day and then we’ll FLOOD THE WORLD with them! Watch out!
Besides all that, it’s been collage madness over here. And I’ve got a bunch of things coming up. Here we go…
1. I’m doing a collage slide show at the Entertainment For People show this Friday night, July 18th at Disjecta. It’s kind of hard to describe what exactly this entails. I think back to the time I saw Crispin Glover do his “Big Slide Show” and I feel like that’s sort of the vibe I’m going for. A visual roller coaster of weirdness, beauty, and precision cutting! Also there will also be awesome folks like Laura Gibson, Arthur Btradford, B Frayn Masters, and host Dan Kennedy.
2. Starting on August 5th, some of my collages will be part of the show, Sex From Scratch, at the Waypost in Portland. The other artists will be Molly Schaeffer and Natalie Nourigat, who illustrated Sarah Mirk’s awesome new book, Sex From Scratch. I just recently bought my first frames for some of my more sex-y, relationship-y collages. I’m so excited about this being my first art show. On Tuesday, August 5th, Sarah and I will be hanging out there and maybe selling art, books, and other things from 7:30-9pm.
3. Just two nights after that, on Thursday, August 7th, I’ll be joining forces with A.M. O’Malley and the Independent Publishing Resource Center to kick off a new once-a-month Open Collage Night. This means you can come hang out at the IPRC and make collages with me, A.M., and whoever else wants to show up and cut and paste for a few hours. There will be some scissors and old magazines and books to cut the heck out of, but you’re encouraged to bring your own stuff too. Go ahead and bring some beer or other refreshments as well.
4. Besides all this, I’m continuing with my collage column, Paper Trumpets, on The Rumpus. Next ones posting on July 23rd and August 6th. Stay tuned to that.
5. I recently signed up with a retail partner and will be selling some collage prints and other collage-centric products soon. Like Andy Warhol’s factory, I’m planning to take over the art world like a mofo, or at least sell a few postcards and T-shirts. More (less vague) info on this adventure soon!
Cougar Cave, June 2014